Stop Playing Small: Why I'm Finally Turning Up the Volume

 

A smiling woman stands confidently on a stage, speaking passionately into a microphone under warm cafe string lights. A neon sign behind her reads 'YOUR TRUTH: Sing Your Song

Stop Playing Small: Why I'm Finally Turning Up the Volume

Have you ever sat in a meeting, been out with friends, or even had a conversation with family when a brilliant idea suddenly popped into your head?
Your heart starts racing.
You know exactly what you want to say.

Then...
You say absolutely nothing.
Instead, someone else speaks, or the conversation moves on, and you convince yourself your idea probably wasn't that good anyway.
Sound familiar?

If I'm honest, I've spent far too much of my life living like that.
Not because I didn't have something to say.
Not because I lacked ideas.

But because I was so worried about being judged, misunderstood or labelled "too much" that I convinced myself staying quiet was safer. For years, I adjusted my personality to make other people comfortable.
I apologised before speaking.
I softened my opinions.
I shrank my dreams.
I made myself smaller because I believed being "easy" was better than being authentic.

Eventually I realised something life-changing... Playing small doesn't protect your peace.

It slowly steals it.


The Exhaustion of Living on Mute
Pretending to be someone you're not is exhausting. Imagine wearing shoes that are two sizes too small every single day. You can still walk. You'll probably get where you're going.

But every single step hurts. That's exactly what happens when you constantly edit yourself.

You think before every sentence.
You replay conversations.
You apologise for things that don't require an apology.
You ask permission for things that don't require permission.
Eventually you stop recognising your own voice.

The saddest part? Most people don't even realise they're doing it.

It becomes normal.


The Lie We Tell Ourselves
I used to believe that playing small was a clever strategy. 

If I didn't stand out... 
Nobody could criticise me. 

If I didn't take risks...
Nobody could reject me.

If I didn't speak up...
Nobody could disagree with me.

Sounds safe, doesn't it?

Except it isn't.
Because every time you choose silence over authenticity, you're also choosing to silence your own confidence.

Every "maybe my idea isn't good enough" slowly becomes... "Maybe I'm not good enough."

And that's where self-doubt begins to grow.Not because you're incapable.

But because you've spent years convincing yourself your voice doesn't matter.


Comfort Zones Are Beautiful Prisons

We often hear people talk about stepping outside their comfort zone. But here's something I've learnt. Comfort zones aren't always comfortable. Sometimes they're simply familiar. There's a huge difference. Your comfort zone might actually be filled with anxiety, self-doubt and fear.

It's just predictable.

Playing small becomes a habit. 
You know exactly what happens when you don't speak.
Nothing. Which feels safer than risking embarrassment. But growth never happens inside predictable spaces. Growth happens the moment your voice shakes...

…and you speak anyway.


The "Shaky Voice" Phase
Nobody talks enough about this stage.The first time you finally decide to speak up...
Your voice might tremble.
Your palms might sweat.
Your face might go bright red.

You might walk away replaying every single word you said.I've been there. Many times.

But here's what I've learnt.
That uncomfortable feeling isn't failure.
It's evidence that you're growing.

Confidence doesn't arrive before courage. Confidence comes after courage.

Every single person you admire once had a shaky voice too.They simply kept speaking until it became natural.


The Monster Called "What If?"

So many of us allow our lives to be controlled by two tiny words.
"What if?"
What if they laugh?
What if they disagree?
What if they think I'm stupid?
What if nobody supports me?

But what if...
they love your idea?

What if...
your words inspire someone?

What if...
your story helps another person survive?

What if...
your courage changes someone else's life?

Fear has a way of making us believe the worst possible outcome is guaranteed. It rarely is.


Why Authenticity Always Wins

The world doesn't need another copy. It already has millions.

Social media is overflowing with people trying to look the same, think the same and speak the same. Authenticity stands out because it's rare.

People don't connect with perfection.
They connect with honesty.
They remember vulnerability.
They remember people who made them feel understood.
That's why your story matters.

Not because it's perfect. Because it's yours.

Why We Learn to Shrink
Most of us didn't wake up one day and decide to become invisible. We learnt it. Many of us grew up hearing things like:
"Children should be seen and not heard."
"Don't answer back."
"Stop showing off."
"Don't make a scene."
"Be nice."

Over time we translated those lessons into adulthood.
Don't ask.
Don't challenge.
Don't negotiate.
Don't dream too big.
Don't speak too loudly.
Don't take up space.

Eventually we become adults who are terrified of being noticed.


The Hidden Cost of Playing Small

Playing small doesn't only affect your confidence.nIt affects every area of your life.

You stay in jobs that no longer fulfil you.
You remain in unhealthy relationships.
You undercharge for your work.
You delay starting the business you've always wanted.
You avoid posting your content.
You silence your creativity.

Not because you aren't capable. Because you've convinced yourself someone else deserves success more than you do.

But they don't. There's room for all of us.


Small Steps Build Big Confidence
One thing I've learnt is that confidence isn't built through giant leaps. It's built through tiny, consistent moments of bravery.

You don't need to change your entire life tomorrow.
You simply need to make one different decision today.

Here are a few small ways to begin.
Stop Over-Explaining

"No" is a complete sentence.

"I can't make it."
"I've decided not to."
"I need some time."

You don't owe anyone a three-page explanation. Protecting your peace doesn't require permission.


Share Your Idea

That business idea you've been sitting on... Mention it.

That blog you've wanted to write... Publish it.

That project you've been dreaming about... Start it.

You never know who is waiting for exactly what you have to offer.


Take Up Physical Space
Body language matters.nSit confidently.nMaintain eye contact.

Stop apologising every time someone bumps into you.Walk like you belong in the room.

Because you do.


Stop Waiting for Permission
One of the biggest breakthroughs in my own life happened when I realised something.

Nobody was coming to give me permission.
Nobody was going to suddenly announce:

"You may now chase your dreams."
"You may now believe in yourself."
"You may now stop caring what everyone thinks."

I had to give myself permission. And so do you.


The People Who Leave Were Never Your People
This lesson took me years to learn. When you finally become your authentic self... Some people won't like it.

That's okay.

They were comfortable with the quieter version of you. 
The version that never challenged them.
The version that always agreed.
The version that constantly put everyone else first.

Growth often changes your circle. Not because you've become difficult. Because you've become honest.

The right people won't ask you to become smaller.They'll celebrate your growth.


Living Out Loud Feels Lighter
One of the greatest gifts of authenticity is freedom.

You're no longer exhausted from pretending.
You're no longer rehearsing conversations in your head.
You're no longer editing every sentence before you speak.

You're simply...
You.

That energy you've spent worrying about what everyone thinks?

Imagine redirecting it into your business.
Your family.
Your creativity.
Your healing.
Your dreams.

Life becomes lighter when you're no longer carrying the weight of everyone else's expectations.


Final Thoughts: Your Voice Matters
If there's one thing I hope you take away from today's blog, it's this:
The world doesn't need a quieter version of you.
It needs the real you.nNot the polished version. Not the people-pleasing version. Not the version constantly seeking approval.

The authentic version.
The courageous version.
The one who has ideas worth sharing.
The one who has survived difficult chapters.
The one whose story might be exactly what someone else needs to hear today.

Don't spend another year waiting until you feel "ready." Confidence grows through action, not waiting.
Speak.
Write.
Create.
Dream.
Take up space.

Because your voice was never meant to stay on mute.It was meant to change lives.

Including your own.

Let's Continue the Conversation

I'd genuinely love to hear from you.

✨ What's one dream you've been keeping quiet about?

✨ What's one opinion you've been afraid to share?

✨ Or what's one small step you're going to take this week to stop playing small?

Share it in the comments below. This is a judgement-free space where we grow together, encourage one another, and remind each other that we were never meant to live quietly.

I need these reminders as much as you do. Let's figure this out side by side. ❤️

I need these reminders as much as you do. Let's figure this out side by side.


embrace your voice.

This fits perfectly into your Confidence, Purpose & Personal Growth series.


Thank You for Reading

Thank you for taking the time to read this article.

The world doesn't need a quieter version of you - it needs the authentic person you were created to be. Every dream you've delayed, every gift you've hidden and every opportunity you've been afraid to pursue deserves another chance.

Stop waiting for permission to take up space. Your voice matters. Your story matters. Your purpose matters.

The life you've been dreaming about begins the moment you stop playing small and start believing in the person you've always had the potential to become.

Let's navigate this thing called life together - one lesson, one choice and one day at a time.


🌿 Continue Your Journey

Growth begins when we stop hiding our potential and start embracing who we were meant to be. If today's article resonated with you, these related reads may encourage and inspire you as you continue navigating life's ups and downs.

 The Fingerprint of the Soul: Why the World is Waiting for Your Unedited Chapter

You were never meant to copy someone else's life. Discover why your authenticity is your greatest strength and why the world needs the unique story only you can tell.

Rise Above the Noise: A Call to Celebrate Your Own Elevation

Confidence grows when you stop comparing yourself to others and start celebrating your own journey. Learn why your progress deserves to be recognised and celebrated.

 The Magic of a Blank Page: When Healing Ends and Living Begins

Sometimes stepping into your purpose means closing one chapter and boldly beginning another. Discover how healing can become the foundation for the life you've always wanted.



Let’s Stay Connected!

If you enjoyed this post, I’d love to have you join our community on Facebook

 for more daily inspiration and updates:

Navigating Life's Ups & Downs


Comments