The Art of Letting Go: Why I Finally Stopped Taking Life So Seriously

A joyful woman with updo locs stands barefoot on a beach walkway, smiling with arms spread wide as balloons labeled with words like 'Control' and 'Perfection' float away into the sky.


The Art of Letting Go: Why I Finally Stopped Taking Life So Seriously

"For years, I believed that if I planned enough, worried enough and worked hard enough, life would eventually become predictable. I couldn't have been more wrong."



When Did Life Become So Serious?
Somewhere between childhood and adulthood, many of us forget how to breathe.
As children, we laughed until our stomachs hurt.
We played without worrying about the time.
We weren't constantly thinking five years ahead.
We didn't measure our worth by our careers, bank accounts or social media followers.

Then adulthood arrived. Suddenly life became one long to-do list.
Pay the bills.
Meet the deadlines.
Answer the emails.
Plan for retirement.
Save more money.
Lose weight.
Be successful.
Be productive.
Be available.
Be better.

Somewhere along the way, I realised I wasn't really living anymore. I was simply trying to keep up. Every day felt like I was writing an important exam that I hadn't studied for.
Even when nothing was actually wrong, my mind found something new to worry about.

Perhaps you've felt that too.


I Thought Worrying Was Being Responsible
For the longest time, I believed worrying meant I cared.
If I worried enough about my children, I was being a good parent.
If I worried about work, I was being responsible.
If I worried about money, I was planning ahead.
If I worried about the future, I was preparing myself.

But eventually I noticed something. My worrying wasn't preventing problems.
It was preventing peace. The things I feared rarely happened. The things that did happen were usually things I could never have predicted anyway.

I was exhausting myself trying to control a future that hadn't even arrived.


The Need to Control Everything

The truth is, many of us carry an invisible belief:
"If I can just control everything, nothing bad will happen."
So we plan.
We overthink.
We rehearse conversations before they happen.
We replay conversations after they've ended.
We create backup plans for our backup plans.

Yet life continues doing what life has always done. It surprises us.
No amount of worrying has ever prevented tomorrow from arriving exactly as it chooses.
Realising that wasn't discouraging.

It was freeing.


The Hidden Cost of Living Under Constant Pressure

Stress doesn't only affect your mind.  It quietly changes the way you experience life.
You Stop Enjoying Ordinary Moments
You drink your morning coffee without tasting it.
You drive to work without remembering the journey.
You sit with people you love while mentally writing tomorrow's to-do list.
You're physically present.
Emotionally absent.

Life passes by while your thoughts are somewhere else.


Every Small Problem Feels Huge
When you're already overwhelmed, even tiny inconveniences feel enormous.
Traffic becomes unbearable. A delayed email feels like a disaster. Someone's bad mood ruins your whole day. The problem isn't always the situation.

It's how exhausted your nervous system has become.


You Forget How to Laugh

When everything feels serious, laughter almost feels irresponsible.
You stop being playful.
You stop being spontaneous.
You become so focused on surviving that you forget how to enjoy living.


Three Things I Finally Let Go Of

Looking back, I realised there were three things creating most of my stress.
1. Worrying About What Other People Think
I used to spend far too much energy wondering whether people approved of my decisions.
Did they think I was successful enough?
A good enough parent?
Working hard enough?

Eventually I realised something surprisingly comforting. Most people aren't analysing my life. They're busy worrying about their own. That thought brought incredible freedom.


2. Trying to Be Perfect
Perfection is exhausting.
No matter how much you achieve, it always whispers,
"You could have done better."
I became my own harshest critic. I celebrated very little because I was already chasing the next achievement. 

One day I asked myself,
"Would I speak to someone I love the way I speak to myself?"
The answer was no.
So why was I doing it?

Now I remind myself that progress matters far more than perfection.


3. Living by Someone Else's Timeline
This one might have been the hardest. I believed there were deadlines for life.
By this age I should own a house. By that age I should have achieved more. I compared my timeline to everyone else's. Social media made it worse. People only share their highlights. Rarely their struggles. Eventually I understood something life-changing.
Life isn't a race. It's a journey. Some people marry at twenty-five. Others at fifty. Some discover their purpose early. Others much later. Neither is wrong.

The only timeline that truly matters is your own.


Learning to Flow Instead of Fight

One of the biggest shifts I've made is learning the difference between effort and resistance. Effort is healthy. Resistance is exhausting. Effort says, "I'll do my best."
Resistance says,
"Everything has to happen exactly the way I planned."
Life rarely follows our plans perfectly.
And that's okay.
Sometimes the unexpected turns out to be exactly what we needed.


What Letting Go Really Means
Many people think letting go means giving up. It doesn't. Letting go doesn't mean becoming careless.
It doesn't mean ignoring responsibilities.
It doesn't mean abandoning your goals.

It simply means releasing the illusion that you have to control every outcome.
You still work hard.
You still care deeply.
You simply stop carrying the weight of things beyond your control.

There's incredible peace in that.


Five Habits That Changed My Perspective
1. I Started Asking Better Questions
Instead of asking,
"Why is this happening to me?"

I ask,
"What is this teaching me?"

That single question changes everything.


2. I Zoom Out
Whenever something upsets me, I ask,
"Will this still matter a year from now?"

Most of the time, the answer is no.

Perspective is incredibly powerful.


3. I Learned to Pause
Not every situation requires an immediate reaction.Sometimes the healthiest response is taking a breath before speaking. Many problems lose their power when we stop reacting impulsively.


4. I Make Time for Joy

Not because I've earned it. Because I need it.
A walk. A good book. Coffee with a friend. Watching the sunset. Listening to music while cooking. Joy isn't a reward for finishing everything.
It's part of living well.


5. I Accept That Life Will Always Be Imperfect

There will always be unfinished work. Unexpected expenses. Difficult conversations.
Plans that change. The goal isn't creating a perfect life.

It's learning to enjoy an imperfect one.


The Greatest Freedom I Found

Ironically, since I stopped trying to control everything...
I'm actually more productive.
I'm calmer.
I sleep better.
My relationships feel deeper because I'm truly listening instead of constantly thinking ahead.

I've learnt that peace doesn't come from everything going according to plan.
It comes from trusting yourself to handle whatever happens.

That's a very different kind of confidence.


If You're Feeling Overwhelmed Right Now...

Maybe this is your reminder.

You don't have to solve your entire life today.
You don't have to have every answer.
You don't have to prove your worth through constant busyness.
You are allowed to slow down.
You are allowed to laugh more.
You are allowed to rest without feeling guilty.
You are allowed to enjoy this season of your life instead of rushing towards the next one.


Final Thoughts
If there's one thing life has taught me, it's this:
The moments I'll remember most won't be the perfectly planned ones.
They'll be the unexpected conversations. The spontaneous laughter. The quiet mornings.
The ordinary days that somehow became extraordinary simply because I was fully present. Life was never meant to be something we survive until retirement.
It was meant to be lived.
So yes...

Work hard.
Dream big.
Set goals.
Be responsible.
But don't forget to laugh.
Don't forget to rest.
Don't forget to notice the sunset.
Don't forget to phone the people you love.

And don't spend so much time preparing for tomorrow that you miss the beautiful life unfolding right in front of you today.

Because one day you'll look back and realise something profound. Life wasn't asking you to be perfect. It was simply asking you to be present.
And perhaps that's the greatest freedom any of us will ever find.

Thank You for Reading

Thank you for taking the time to read this article.

Life is far too precious to spend every moment worrying about things we can't control. Sometimes the greatest gift we can give ourselves is permission to let go, laugh a little more, embrace the unexpected and appreciate the beauty in the present moment.

Remember, life isn't about having everything perfectly figured out - it's about growing through every experience and finding joy along the way.

Let's navigate this thing called life together - one lesson, one choice and one day at a time.

🌿 Continue Your Journey

Every chapter of life teaches us something new. If today's article resonated with you, these related reads may encourage and inspire you as you continue your journey.


Embracing Life's Plot Twists: Finding Strength in Adversity

Life doesn't always go according to plan, but sometimes the unexpected detours lead us exactly where we need to be. Discover how embracing change can help you grow stronger and more resilient.


 Rise Above the Noise: A Call to Celebrate Your Own Elevation

Letting go also means releasing comparison and focusing on your own journey. Learn why celebrating your progress is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself.


Still Living Like It's 2016? Why Taking Accountability Could Be the Best Decision You Ever Make

Moving forward often begins with letting go of the past. Explore how taking accountability can help you create a future that's no longer defined by yesterday's choices.


Let’s Stay Connected!

If you enjoyed this post, I’d love to have you join our community on Facebook

 for more daily inspiration and updates: Navigating Life's Ups & Downs

Check Out My Business Page on Facebook and Instagram: GLAMMAMIS EVENTS FACEBOOK and GLAMMAMIS EVENTS INSTAGRAM



Comments