A Letter to the Little Girl I Used to Be: Healing Childhood Wounds, Breaking Cycles and Learning to Choose Myself
A Letter to the Little Girl I Used to Be: Healing Childhood Wounds, Breaking Cycles and Learning to Choose Myself
"If I could go back in time and sit beside the little girl I used to be, I wouldn't have all the answers. I wouldn't be able to stop every tear, erase every painful memory or change the circumstances she was born into. But I would hold her hand, look into her eyes and tell her the one thing she desperately needed to hear: None of this is your fault."
Dear Little Girl,
I see you.
I remember everything about you.
I remember the smile you wore so effortlessly at school. The one that convinced everyone you were happy. You laughed with your friends, completed your schoolwork and tried your best to fit in. To everyone around you, you looked like an ordinary little girl with an ordinary life.
But I also remember the feeling that settled in your stomach every afternoon when the final school bell rang. Going home never felt exciting. It felt uncertain. You never quite knew what was waiting behind the front door.
Would today be peaceful?
Would there be shouting?
Would there be tension hanging in the air so thick that you could almost touch it?
Would everyone pretend everything was fine, even when it clearly wasn't?
Living in that kind of environment teaches a child to become alert all the time. You learn to read people's moods before they even speak. You notice tiny changes in facial expressions. You become an expert at sensing danger long before anyone else notices it.
Children should never have to become emotional detectives. Yet somehow, you did. The chaos around you became so normal that you didn't even realise how deeply it was shaping the woman you would eventually become.
But I want you to know something today. None of it was your fault. You were simply a little girl trying to survive in circumstances you never chose.
There Was Light in the Darkness Too
Although the difficult moments left deep scars, they weren't the whole story.
I also remember your laughter.
I remember how excited you became over the smallest things.
I remember the friendships that made school feel like a safe place.
I remember your imagination.
I remember your kindness.
I remember how deeply you loved people.
Even during the hardest seasons, there were moments of happiness.
Moments when you forgot about the chaos waiting at home.
Moments when you laughed so hard your stomach hurt.
Moments when life felt beautifully simple.
Those memories matter.
They remind me that the difficult chapters never managed to steal your spirit.
They bent you.
But they never broke you.
Becoming the Girl Who Tried to Save Everyone
As you grew older, something happened that you didn't even notice.
You became a people-pleaser.
It wasn't because you were weak.
It wasn't because you lacked confidence.
It was because your childhood taught you that keeping other people happy made life feel safer.
You learned to avoid conflict.
You apologised even when you had done nothing wrong.
You said "yes" when every part of you wanted to say "no".
You carried responsibilities that never belonged to you.
You believed your worth came from being needed.
You thought that if you could fix everyone's problems, perhaps someone would finally make everything okay for you.
Looking back now, I don't blame you.
You were simply trying to earn the love and security every child deserves naturally.
Why I Kept Choosing Broken People
This is probably one of the hardest truths I've had to accept.
For years, I believed I was choosing partners because I had a big heart.
I thought I simply saw the good in people.
I believed love could heal anything.
If someone was hurting, I wanted to help.
If someone was struggling, I wanted to stay.
If someone had a painful past, I convinced myself that loving them harder would somehow fix what was broken.
But eventually I realised something painful.
I wasn't attracted to chaos because I enjoyed suffering.
I was attracted to it because it felt familiar.
Healthy relationships felt unfamiliar.
Consistency felt strange.
Peace almost felt uncomfortable because my nervous system had spent years preparing for the next emotional storm.
Chaos wasn't love.
It was simply what I knew.
That realisation changed everything.
Because once you understand why you keep repeating certain patterns, you finally have the power to change them.
The Day I Finally Apologised to Myself
For years, I apologised to everyone else.
I apologised for taking up space.
I apologised for having feelings.
I apologised for asking for respect.
I apologised for setting boundaries.
But one day, I realised there was one person who had never received an apology.
Me.
I looked at myself in the mirror and thought about every version of the woman staring back at me.
The little girl who believed she wasn't enough.
The teenager who desperately wanted everyone to like her.
The young woman who confused sacrifice with love.
The mother who constantly worried she wasn't doing enough.
And I cried.
Not because I was weak.
But because I finally understood how unfair I had been to myself.
I apologised for abandoning my own needs.
I apologised for accepting treatment I would never want for my children.
I apologised for believing I had to earn love through sacrifice.
Most importantly, I forgave myself.
Healing truly began the day I stopped blaming myself for surviving the only way I knew how.
Breaking the Cycle for My Children
Becoming a parent changes everything.
It forces you to look at your own childhood through different eyes.
As I watched my children grow, I realised something.
They deserved a different story.
They deserved consistency.
They deserved peace.
They deserved a home where they didn't have to wonder what mood everyone would be in.
They deserved to be children.
That became my greatest motivation.
Breaking generational cycles isn't easy.
Sometimes it means learning things nobody ever taught you.
Sometimes it means choosing peace when chaos feels familiar.
Sometimes it means saying no, even when guilt tells you to say yes.
Sometimes it means healing wounds you didn't create.
But every difficult decision became worthwhile because I wasn't only changing my own future.
I was changing theirs too.
That is one of the greatest gifts any parent can give their children.
Discovering the Power of Healthy Boundaries
One of the biggest lessons I've learned is that boundaries are not punishment.
They are protection.
For years, I believed setting boundaries would make people angry.
I thought saying no made me selfish.
I worried people would leave if I stopped giving so much of myself away.
The truth?
Some people did leave.
But they were often the people who benefited most from me having no boundaries at all.
Today my boundaries look different.
I no longer chase people who have already decided to walk away.
I no longer explain myself repeatedly to people committed to misunderstanding me.
I no longer accept disrespect just to avoid conflict.
I no longer carry emotional responsibilities that belong to someone else.
I no longer believe love requires me to lose myself.
Boundaries didn't make my heart smaller.
They simply taught me where my responsibility ends and someone else's begins.
Choosing Peace Isn't the Same as Giving Up
There was a time when I thought walking away meant failure.
Now I understand the difference.
Walking away from disrespect isn't giving up.
Choosing peace isn't weakness.
Protecting your emotional wellbeing isn't selfish.
Sometimes strength looks loud.
Sometimes it looks like standing your ground.
Other times, strength looks remarkably quiet.
It looks like closing the door without slamming it.
It looks like refusing to argue with someone determined not to understand you.
It looks like protecting your peace without wishing harm on anyone else.
That is the kind of strength I hope never to lose.
What I Want You to Remember
If I could reach through time and hold your hand today, this is what I would tell you.
You are not responsible for fixing adults.
You are not responsible for keeping everyone happy.
You are allowed to feel your emotions.
You are worthy of love exactly as you are.
Your empathy is one of your greatest gifts- but don't let it become the reason people take advantage of your kindness.
Not everyone who is hurting is your responsibility to heal.
You cannot save people who refuse to save themselves.
Choose compassion.
But choose wisdom too.
One day you'll realise that protecting your peace isn't about shutting people out.
It's about letting the right people in.
If This Letter Feels Like Your Story Too
Perhaps you weren't the little girl in this letter.
Perhaps you were the little boy.
Perhaps your childhood looked different.
Different house.
Different circumstances.
Different struggles.
But the feelings were the same.
You learned to survive.
You learned to make yourself smaller.
You learned to keep everyone else happy.
You learned to carry burdens that never belonged to you.
If that's your story, I want you to hear this.
Your past explains you.
It does not define you.
Healing is possible.
Growth is possible.
Peace is possible.
You are not too broken.
You are not too late.
And you are certainly not beyond hope.
A Final Thank You
So, to the little girl I used to be...
Thank you.
Thank you for surviving the days you thought would never end.
Thank you for believing that life could be better, even when you had no proof.
Thank you for protecting your soft heart in a world that sometimes felt anything but gentle.
Because you kept going...
I now get to wake up in a home filled with peace instead of fear.
I get to raise children who know they are loved.
I get to choose relationships built on respect instead of chaos.
I get to sleep at night knowing I no longer have to earn my worth.
Most importantly, I get to look in the mirror and finally recognise the woman staring back at me.
She isn't perfect.
She still has healing to do.
She still has difficult days.
But she is no longer surviving.
She is living.
And for the first time in a very long time...
She is finally at peace.
With all my love,
Your Future Self
Thank You for Reading
Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. Healing isn't about forgetting where you've come from - it's about honouring your journey, breaking unhealthy cycles and choosing a future that reflects your worth.
No matter what you've experienced, remember that your past does not define your future. Every day is another opportunity to grow, heal and become the person you were always meant to be.
Let's navigate this thing called life together - one lesson, one choice and one day at a time.
Continue Your Journey
If this letter resonated with you, these articles may encourage you as you continue your healing journey.
Let’s Stay Connected!
If you enjoyed this post, I’d love to have you join our community on Facebook
for more daily inspiration and updates: Navigating Life's Ups & Downs
Check Out My Business Page on Facebook and Instagram: GLAMMAMIS EVENTS FACEBOOK
and GLAMMAMIS EVENTS INSTAGRAM


.jpeg)
Comments