From Broken to Brave: Why I Wrote UNBROKEN


From Broken to Brave: Why I Wrote UNBROKEN

There are moments in life that divide our stories into two parts. The life we lived before the heartbreak. And the life we are forced to build afterwards.

Most of us never expect those moments to arrive. We don't wake up thinking today will be the day our world changes forever. Yet life has a way of surprising us. Sometimes those surprises bring incredible joy, and sometimes they leave us standing in the middle of broken dreams, shattered trust and unanswered questions. Perhaps you've experienced the loss of someone you loved with your whole heart. Perhaps you've walked away from a relationship you thought would last forever. Maybe you've been betrayed by someone you trusted, leaving you questioning your own judgement.

Or perhaps you're simply exhausted from carrying pain that nobody else can see. If any of that sounds familiar, I want you to know something before you read another word:

You are not alone.

This is exactly why I wrote UNBROKEN.

Released on 8 August 2025, this eBook is more than just another self-help book. It is a deeply personal journey through grief, healing, forgiveness, courage and finding hope again after life knocks you down.

It was written during one of the hardest seasons of my own life.

Every chapter carries pieces of my heart.

Every page carries lessons I wish someone had shared with me when I was trying to find my own way back to myself.

Most importantly, this book is dedicated to my late father, David Coetzee, whose strength, wisdom and quiet resilience continue to inspire me every single day.

Although he is no longer physically with me, his love continues to shape the woman I am becoming. Writing UNBROKEN became part of my own healing.

Now my hope is that it becomes part of yours.


Healing Isn't About Forgetting

One of the biggest misconceptions about healing is that we're supposed to "get over it."

People often say things like:

"You'll be okay."

"Everything happens for a reason."

"Just move on."

Although these words are usually spoken with good intentions, they often make someone who is grieving feel even more alone. Healing isn't about pretending the pain never existed. Healing isn't about forgetting. Healing is about learning how to carry your story without allowing it to carry you.

That is exactly what UNBROKEN is about. It's about discovering that although life may leave scars, those scars don't have to define your future.


Chapter One: It's Okay to Grieve

If there is one lesson I wish everyone understood, it is this:

Grief deserves space.

Our society celebrates productivity. We applaud people who "stay strong."

We admire those who appear to bounce back quickly. But real healing doesn't work according to a schedule. Grief has no deadline. Whether you've lost a parent, a relationship, a friendship, a career or even the future you imagined for yourself, your heart deserves time. In the opening chapter of UNBROKEN, we talk about giving yourself permission to feel every emotion. The sadness.

The confusion. The anger. The loneliness. The questions. None of these emotions make you weak. They make you human. You cannot heal wounds that you're pretending don't exist. Sometimes the bravest thing you can do is admit, "I'm hurting." That admission isn't weakness. It's the beginning of healing.


Chapter Two: Rising Above Betrayal

Few experiences cut as deeply as betrayal. When someone we trusted chooses to hurt us, it doesn't just break our hearts. It changes the way we see ourselves.

We begin questioning everything.

"How did I miss the signs?"

"Was I not enough?"

"Can I ever trust anyone again?"

Betrayal has a way of stealing your confidence alongside your peace. In this chapter, I explore how betrayal affects our emotional well-being and why forgiveness often feels impossible. But here's something important. Forgiveness isn't about excusing someone's behaviour. It isn't about pretending nothing happened. It isn't about allowing someone to hurt you again. Forgiveness is about releasing yourself from carrying the weight of someone else's choices. Bitterness keeps us connected to the very people who wounded us. Forgiveness quietly sets us free. Not because they deserve it. But because we deserve peace.


Chapter Three: Celebrating Your Courage

Sometimes we forget how brave we already are. We think courage only belongs to firefighters, soldiers or people climbing mountains. But courage looks very different in everyday life. Sometimes courage looks like getting out of bed after losing someone you love. Sometimes it looks like attending work while your heart is breaking. Sometimes it means smiling at your children even when you're quietly falling apart inside. Sometimes courage simply means deciding to try again tomorrow. If you're reading this today, you've survived every difficult day life has thrown at you so far. That's remarkable.

This chapter celebrates those quiet victories that often go unnoticed.

The strength to keep going. The determination to keep believing. The willingness to keep loving despite being hurt. You may not feel brave.

But you are.


Chapter Four: The Power of Strategic Silence

We live in a world where everyone seems to expect an explanation. Social media encourages us to share everything. People ask intrusive questions.

Strangers form opinions based on half the story. It becomes exhausting.

One of the greatest lessons I've learnt is that not everyone deserves access to your story. Sometimes silence protects your healing. I call this Strategic Silence. Strategic Silence isn't avoidance. It isn't fear. It's wisdom.

It's recognising that your peace is precious. Not every argument deserves your attention. Not every rumour deserves your response. Not every opinion deserves your energy. Sometimes the healthiest thing you can say is absolutely nothing. Silence creates space. Space to think. Space to heal.

Space to reconnect with yourself instead of constantly defending yourself.

Some chapters of your life are meant to be lived quietly.


Why I Chose to Share My Story

Writing UNBROKEN wasn't easy. There were days I had to stop writing because the memories became too heavy. There were tears. There were moments when I questioned whether anyone would understand. But every time I thought about giving up, I imagined someone sitting alone, feeling exactly the way I once did. Someone wondering whether life would ever feel normal again. Someone questioning whether healing was even possible.

If this book helps even one person realise they aren't alone, then every emotional moment spent writing it was worth it. Because pain becomes powerful when it helps someone else find hope.


More Than Just a Book

Although UNBROKEN is an eBook, I don't really see it as a book. I see it as a conversation. A companion. A reminder. A hand reaching across the darkness saying, "I've been there too."

This isn't about having all the answers. I'm still learning. Still healing. Still navigating life's ups and downs alongside all of you. That's why everything I write comes from a place of honesty. Not perfection.


Thank You for Walking This Journey With Me

Every blog you read. Every comment you leave. Every message you send.

Every share. Every word of encouragement. You may never fully realise how much those things mean to me. Writing has become more than something I do. It's become part of my healing. And the beautiful part is knowing that my healing may help someone else begin theirs. If you've supported Navigating Life's Ups & Downs, thank you. If you've read my blogs. Thank you. If you've shared my posts. Thank you. If you've simply taken a few minutes out of your day to read these words... Thank you. Your kindness has helped this dream become reality.


Where to Find UNBROKEN

If this blog has spoken to your heart, I would love for you to read UNBROKEN.

Inside its pages you'll discover practical encouragement, honest conversations and gentle reminders that healing is possible - even when it doesn't feel that way. My hope isn't simply that you finish reading the book.

My hope is that you finish believing in yourself again. Because despite everything you've been through... You are still here. You are still growing.

You are still worthy. And above all... You are UNBROKEN.


Final Thoughts

Life has a remarkable way of turning our deepest wounds into our greatest purpose.

Looking back, I never imagined my own heartbreak would one day become something that could encourage others. But perhaps that's how healing works. Perhaps our greatest pain eventually becomes someone else's greatest source of hope. If you're currently navigating one of life's difficult seasons, please don't lose heart. Take one step. One breath. One day at a time.

Healing doesn't happen overnight. But it does happen.And one day you'll look back and realise you didn't just survive. You became stronger because of it.


Frequently Asked Questions

Who is UNBROKEN written for?

Anyone experiencing grief, heartbreak, betrayal, loss or emotional healing. Whether you're rebuilding after a difficult season or simply looking for encouragement, this book was written with you in mind.

Is this book based on real experiences?

Yes. UNBROKEN is deeply personal and inspired by my own journey through grief, healing and learning to find hope again after life's most challenging moments.

What can readers expect?

Honest conversations about grief, forgiveness, resilience, courage, boundaries and personal growth, along with practical encouragement to help readers move forward at their own pace.



💜 Let's Talk

I'd love to hear from you.

Which chapter speaks to your heart the most right now?

What is one moment in your life that made you realise you were stronger than you thought?

Leave a comment below. This community exists because people like you are brave enough to share your stories, encourage one another and remind each other that none of us have to walk this journey alone.

I need these reminders as much as you do. Let's figure this out side by side.


Thank You for Reading

Thank you for taking the time to read this article.

Writing UNBROKEN wasn't just about sharing my story - it was about reminding others that no matter what life has thrown your way, your story isn't over. Our scars may tell the story of where we've been, but they don't have to determine where we're going.

If my journey encourages even one person to believe in themselves again, to keep going or to choose hope over despair, then every word was worth writing.

No matter what chapter you're in today, never forget that strength is often born from the moments that tried to break us.

Let's navigate this thing called life together - one lesson, one choice and one day at a time.


🌿 Continue Your Journey

Every challenge has the potential to shape a stronger, wiser and more resilient version of ourselves. If today's article resonated with you, these related reads may encourage and inspire you as you continue navigating life's ups and downs.

The Magic of a Blank Page: When Healing Ends and Living Begins

Every ending creates space for a new beginning. Discover how healing can become the foundation for a future filled with hope, purpose and possibility.

A Letter to the Little Girl I Used to Be: Healing Childhood Wounds, Breaking Cycles and Learning to Choose Myself

Sometimes healing begins by showing compassion to the younger version of ourselves. Explore how embracing your past can help you build a brighter future.

The Fingerprint of the Soul: Why the World is Waiting for Your Unedited Chapter

Your story has value because no one else has lived it. Discover why your authenticity, your experiences and your voice have the power to inspire others.


Let’s Stay Connected!

If you enjoyed this post, I’d love to have you join our community on Facebook

 for more daily inspiration and updates:👉 Navigating Life's Ups & Downs




Comments