Learning to Choose Your Quiet Where Are You Giving Your Strength

Navigating Life's Ups & Downs 



A cozy armchair with a knit blanket sits by a rain-streaked window next to a side table holding old books, glasses, a floral mug, and a succulent. A white sign reads 'Find Your Quiet'.


Learning to Choose Your Quiet: Where Are You Giving Your Strength?

Have you ever reached Tuesday feeling like you’ve already lived through an entire week?

You wake up tired, not because you didn’t sleep, but because your heart has been carrying far more than it was ever meant to. One difficult conversation. One disappointing phone call. One family disagreement. One work deadline. One more person expecting something from you.

Before you know it, you're emotionally exhausted.

For a long time, I believed that being strong meant showing up for everyone and everything. I thought strength meant fixing problems, carrying burdens, smoothing over conflict, and making sure everyone else was okay before I even thought about myself.

But life has been teaching me something completely different.

Real strength isn't found in carrying every burden.

Sometimes...

Real strength is choosing your quiet.

And perhaps that's the lesson many of us need to hear today.



We Live in a World That Celebrates Noise
We live in a society where being busy is worn like a badge of honour. How many times have you heard someone proudly say,

"I've been so busy." As if exhaustion somehow equals success.

Our phones never stop buzzing. Emails arrive around the clock. Social media tells us what everyone else is doing.

Breaking news demands our attention every hour. Family members expect immediate replies.

Clients need answers.
Friends need advice.
Children need guidance.
Employers need results.

Somewhere between trying to be everything for everyone, we slowly stop hearing ourselves. The noise becomes so loud that we forget what peace even feels like.

And that is dangerous.

Because if you never experience silence, you never hear your own heart.


Not Every Storm Needs Your Umbrella
This has become one of the biggest lessons of my life.
Not every problem belongs to you.

Read that again.

Not every problem belongs to you.

Some people are carrying storms that they need to walk through on their own.

That doesn't mean you don't care. It simply means you recognise the difference between compassion and responsibility.

For years, I wanted to rescue everyone.

If someone was hurting...
I wanted to fix it.

If someone was struggling...
I wanted to help.

If someone was unhappy...
I somehow believed it became my responsibility to make them feel better.

Eventually, I realised something.
You can love people deeply without carrying their emotional luggage.
You can support someone without sacrificing your own mental health.
You can pray for someone without trying to control their journey.

Sometimes the greatest gift you can give another person is allowing them the dignity of solving their own problems.


The Quiet Season I Never Asked For
Towards the end of 2023, my life changed forever. My father passed away. Losing a parent changes something inside you that words can never fully explain.

Life continues around you.
People return to work.
Conversations move on.
The world keeps spinning.

But your own world...
It stops.

As someone who owns GLAMMAMIS EVENTS, my life had always been filled with colour, celebrations, laughter and busy weekends.

Then suddenly...

Everything became quiet.
Bookings slowed down.
Events became less frequent.

At first, I panicked.
I questioned everything.

Was my business failing?

Had people forgotten about me?

Was I losing my passion?

But as the weeks turned into months, something remarkable happened. I started hearing myself again. I believe God knew I needed rest long before I admitted I was exhausted.

Because if my business had continued at full speed while my heart was breaking...
I honestly don't know how I would have coped.

Looking back now, I see that the slower season wasn't punishment. It was protection.

Sometimes closed doors aren't rejection. Sometimes they're God's way of giving us space to heal.


Grief Doesn't Follow Anyone's Timeline
One thing I've learned is that grief doesn't work according to calendars. People often expect you to "move on."

After a few months they ask,
"Are you feeling better now?"

But grief doesn't disappear because time passes.
It changes.

Some days you smile.
Some days you laugh.

Other days something as simple as hearing your father's favourite song can bring you to tears.

Healing isn't linear.

It's messy.
It's unpredictable.
And that's okay.

I've also realised something important. I don't owe anyone an explanation for where I am in my healing.

If I'm quieter than I used to be...
That's okay.

If I'm choosing fewer events...
That's okay.

If I'm protecting my peace more than before...
That's okay too.

Healing doesn't require permission.


Your Energy Is Your Greatest Investment
Imagine your emotional energy as money.

Every morning you wake up with a certain amount in your account.
Every conversation makes a withdrawal.
Every argument costs something.
Every stressful situation takes a little more.
Every act of people-pleasing withdraws even more.

The problem is...
Most of us spend our emotional budget before lunchtime.

By the time we get home, there's nothing left for ourselves.
Nothing left for our children.
Nothing left for our dreams.
Nothing left for our healing.

We cannot continue living like that. Learning where your energy goes is one of the greatest forms of self-respect.


Three Ways to Protect Your Peace This Week
If you're feeling overwhelmed, here are three simple practices that have helped me enormously.
1. Ask Yourself: "Is This Mine to Carry?"
Before taking on another person's emotional burden, pause.

Ask yourself honestly:
"Is this actually my responsibility?"

Sometimes the answer will be yes.

But surprisingly often...
The answer is no.

You can care without carrying. There's a huge difference.


2. Give Yourself Permission to Say "Not Today"

Everything doesn't require an immediate answer.

You don't have to reply instantly.
You don't have to solve every problem tonight.
You don't have to make every decision this minute.

Sometimes the healthiest response is simply:
"I'll think about it."

"Let me get back to you."
"Not today."

Peace often lives inside the pause.


3. Create a Daily Quiet Ritual

Find ten uninterrupted minutes.
No phone.
No television.
No emails.
No scrolling.
Just breathe.
Sit outside.
Watch your plants.
Listen to birds.
Journal.
Pray.
Meditate.

Or simply be still.

At first it might feel uncomfortable. But eventually you'll begin hearing the voice that's been buried underneath everyone else's expectations.

Your own.


Choosing Quiet Isn't Giving Up
One of the biggest misconceptions is that quiet people are weak. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Sometimes silence requires far more courage than arguing.
Walking away often takes more strength than staying.
Protecting your peace isn't avoidance.

It's wisdom.

There comes a point where you realise not every battle deserves your energy.
Not every opinion deserves your response.
Not every misunderstanding deserves an explanation.

Sometimes your greatest victory is refusing to enter the battlefield at all.


The Beautiful Work That Happens in Silence

Some of the greatest transformations happen where nobody else can see them.

Healing happens quietly.
Forgiveness happens quietly.
Growth happens quietly.
Confidence grows quietly.
Faith becomes stronger quietly.

Roots grow underground long before flowers bloom above the soil. Just because people can't see your progress doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Don't underestimate the work God is doing in your quiet season.


Give Yourself Permission to Slow Down

Maybe this season isn't about achieving more.
Maybe it isn't about working harder.
Maybe it isn't about proving yourself.
Maybe this season is simply asking you to breathe.

To rest.
To heal.
To become.

We spend so much time chasing what's next that we forget to appreciate where we are.

Sometimes slowing down isn't falling behind.
Sometimes it's exactly how we move forward.


Final Thoughts: Protect Your Light
If nobody has told you this recently...

You don't have to earn your rest.
You don't have to justify your peace.
You don't have to apologise for choosing yourself.

Your quiet is not weakness.
It is wisdom.

The world will always have another problem waiting for your attention.

But your heart deserves your attention too.

Protect your peace.
Guard your energy.
Honour your healing.

And never feel guilty for choosing the quiet that allows your soul to breathe. Because when you protect your own light, you become bright enough to genuinely light the way for others.

Not from exhaustion.
But from wholeness.

And that kind of strength changes everything.

Reflection Questions 💚

I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments.

  • Is there a burden you've been carrying that doesn't actually belong to you?
  • What helps you find peace when life feels overwhelming?
  • Have you ever experienced a quiet season that later turned out to be exactly what you needed?

Let's encourage one another. Your story might be exactly what someone else needs to read today.


I need these reminders as much as you do.

Let's figure this out side by side. 💚

Thank You for Reading

Thank you for taking the time to read this article.

Every day, you have a choice about where your energy goes. You cannot pour endlessly into every conversation, every conflict or every expectation without eventually running empty. Protecting your peace isn't about shutting people out - it's about being intentional with what and who you allow to shape your life.

Choose your quiet wisely. Choose the people who bring you peace. Choose the conversations that inspire growth. And most importantly, choose yourself often enough that you never lose sight of who you are.

Let's navigate this thing called life together - one lesson, one choice and one day at a time.


🌿 Continue Your Journey

Every decision you make about where to invest your time and energy shapes the life you're creating. If today's article resonated with you, these related reads may encourage and inspire you as you continue navigating life's ups and downs.


The Power of Strategic Silence: Why Saying Less Can Protect Your Peace

Not every battle deserves your attention. Discover how choosing silence at the right moments can protect your emotional wellbeing and help you find lasting peace.


 The Freedom of Being Misunderstood: Why You Don't Need to Explain

Sometimes protecting your energy means accepting that not everyone will understand your choices. Learn why you don't need to explain yourself to everyone.


The Art of Going "Out of Office" - Reclaiming My Peace: Why We All Need an "Out of Office" Week

Rest is not a luxury -it's a necessity. Discover why stepping away, slowing down and making time to recharge can help you return with greater clarity and strength.



Let’s Stay Connected!

If you enjoyed this post, I’d love to have you join our community on Facebook

 for more daily inspiration and updates:

Navigating Life's Ups & Downs


A simple like or follow helps more than you know.

See you there!


Ciao!

CharneyC



 

 

 


 

Comments