The Art of Going "Out of Office" - Reclaiming My Peace: Why We All Need an "Out of Office" Week"


A content woman with wrapped locs wears a plush white bath towel on her head and a matching robe. Smiling softly, she holds a ceramic mug of coffee while wearing golden under-eye skincare patches during a relaxing pamper morning



 The Art of Going "Out of Office": Why We All Need to Disconnect to Reconnect



When was the last time you truly switched off? Not just from work. Not just from social media.

I mean completely switched off. No checking emails "just quickly." No scrolling Facebook while watching television. No answering messages because you feel guilty leaving someone on "read."

Just you... Your thoughts... And the freedom to simply exist.

We live in a world that never sleeps. Our phones buzz constantly, our calendars are overflowing, and somewhere along the way being "busy" became something people celebrate. If someone asks how you're doing, the answer is usually, "I'm so busy!"

But lately I've started wondering... When did exhaustion become something we wear like a badge of honour?

Last week I made a decision that felt almost rebellious. I went "Out of Office."
Not because I was travelling overseas.
Not because I had a major holiday planned.

I simply decided that my mind deserved a break.

And honestly?

It was one of the best decisions I've made in a long time.


Why We Find It So Hard to Switch Off

Technology has made our lives easier in many ways.
We can work from anywhere.
Speak to family across the world.
Run businesses from our phones.
Find answers within seconds.

But somewhere along the journey, convenience quietly became constant availability. Many of us no longer leave work at work. Work comes home. It sits beside us while we watch television. It follows us into the bedroom. Sometimes it even joins us at the dinner table.

Before I took my own break, I noticed something strange happening. I would reach for my phone even when it hadn't vibrated. I'd check my emails every few minutes without even thinking.I found myself opening social media automatically, almost like muscle memory.

The scary part?
Most of the time there wasn't even anything important waiting for me. My attention had become a product. Every notification wanted something.
My time.
My focus.
My energy.

Little by little, I realised I wasn't controlling my phone anymore.

It was controlling me.


The Mental Cost of Constant Connection

Research continues to show that excessive screen time can contribute to increased stress, anxiety, sleep disruption and mental fatigue.

Our brains were never designed to process hundreds of notifications every day.
Every email.
Every WhatsApp message.
Every Facebook update.
Every news alert.

Each one demands a tiny piece of our attention. Individually they seem harmless. Collectively they become overwhelming.

When our minds never get the opportunity to slow down, they stay in a permanent state of alertness. That constant state of readiness slowly drains us. No wonder so many people feel exhausted despite sleeping eight hours. Sometimes it isn't physical exhaustion.

It's mental overload.


My Personal "Out of Office" Week
Instead of reaching for my phone first thing in the morning, I reached for something I hadn't enjoyed properly in years. Music. Not today's playlists. Not trending songs. The classics.

The songs that shaped different seasons of my life. CeCe and BeBe Winans,  Yolanda Adams., Michael Bolton, Freddy Jackson etc. 

The moment those familiar voices filled the room, something inside me relaxed. Music has an incredible way of transporting us back to moments we thought we'd forgotten.
Certain songs remind us of family. Others remind us of childhood. Some remind us of heartbreak. Others remind us that we survived.

Listening to Yolanda Adams sing "The Battle Is The Lord's" reminded me how many battles I've already overcome.
Hearing CeCe Winans' powerful worship reminded me that peace doesn't always come from changing your circumstances.

Sometimes peace comes from changing what you allow into your heart.

Even Michael Bolton's timeless love songs brought back memories of simpler days.

For the first time in months...I wasn't multitasking. I was simply listening.

And my soul desperately needed that.


Finding Peace in Nature
One of the biggest surprises during my "Out of Office" week was how much joy I found in slowing down.
I spent time watering my plants.
Watching new leaves unfold.
Looking at flowers I'd previously walked past without noticing.

Nature doesn't rush. Trees don't compete. Flowers don't compare themselves to one another. Everything grows at exactly the pace it's meant to. There's something deeply comforting about that.

We often place enormous pressure on ourselves to achieve more, earn more and become more. Nature quietly reminds us that growth doesn't happen overnight. It happens one day at a time. One leaf at a time. One season at a time.

Maybe we could learn something from that.


Learning to Appreciate Myself Again
By Thursday, I decided it was time for a proper pamper morning. Not because anyone else would see me. Not because I had somewhere important to be.Simply because I deserved it.

I enjoyed a long bath.
I took my time with my skincare routine.
I looked in the mirror without criticising myself.
Instead, I chose gratitude.
Grateful for a healthy mind.
Grateful for a body that has carried me through life's ups and downs.
Grateful that after everything I've survived, I can still smile.

Sometimes self-care isn't about expensive treatments. Sometimes it's about reminding yourself that you're worth slowing down for.


Rest Isn't Laziness
One of the biggest lies our society teaches us is that resting means we're being lazy. Somehow we've convinced ourselves that productivity determines our worth.

If we're constantly working... We're successful. If we're constantly available...
We're committed. If we're constantly exhausted... We're hardworking.

But that's simply not true.

Imagine trying to drive your car without ever stopping for fuel. Eventually, it would come to a standstill. Human beings are no different. We cannot continue giving to everyone else if we never refill our own emotional tank.

Rest isn't something you earn after burnout. Rest is what prevents burnout in the first place.


Four Ways to Create Your Own "Out of Office" Reset

The good news is you don't need to book an expensive holiday to experience peace.
Sometimes the smallest changes make the biggest difference.
1. Set Digital Boundaries
Start by turning off unnecessary notifications. Not every app deserves immediate access to your attention.

Choose specific times during the day to check emails and social media instead of constantly reacting.Your phone should serve you.

Not the other way around.


2. Create Your Own Restoration Playlist
Think about songs that remind you of happier times.
Songs your parents played.
Songs from church.
Songs from school.
Songs that make you smile.

Music has an incredible ability to calm the nervous system. Allow it to become part of your daily routine.


3. Spend Time in Nature

You don't need a massive garden.
A small balcony.
A nearby park.

Even a single plant on your desk can become a reminder to slow down. Nature teaches patience without saying a single word.


4. Journal Your Gratitude
Spend five minutes every day writing down three things you're grateful for.
Not the big things.
The small things.

A good cup of coffee.
A peaceful morning.
A laugh with your child.
A beautiful sunset.

Gratitude slowly shifts your focus from what's missing to what's already beautiful.


Frequently Asked Questions
Is it selfish to take time for yourself?
Not at all.

Looking after yourself allows you to be a better parent, friend, employee and business owner.
You cannot pour from an empty cup.

What if I can't take an entire week off?

That's perfectly okay.

Even one evening without screens can make a noticeable difference.

Try creating a "No Phone Sunday Morning" or a "Technology-Free Tuesday Evening."

Small habits create lasting change.


How do I know I need a digital detox?

Some common signs include:

  • Feeling anxious when you can't check your phone.
  • Constant fatigue.
  • Difficulty concentrating.
  • Comparing yourself to others online.
  • Reaching for your phone without thinking.
  • Losing interest in hobbies you once enjoyed.

If any of these sound familiar, your mind may be asking for a break.



The Greatest Gift You Can Give Yourself

Perhaps the biggest lesson I learned during my "Out of Office" week was this:
Peace isn't found by escaping your life.
It's found by becoming present in it.

The world will keep spinning. Emails will still arrive. Social media will still be there tomorrow.

But your wellbeing deserves attention today. Taking time to rest doesn't make you less productive. It makes you more human.

When we slow down, we hear our own thoughts again. We reconnect with our faith.
We appreciate the people around us.We notice beauty we'd been too busy to see.

Most importantly...
We remember who we are outside of our job titles, follower counts and endless to-do lists.


Final Thoughts: Give Yourself Permission to Pause
If you've been feeling emotionally exhausted lately, consider this your permission slip.
Go "Out of Office."
Pray.
Read.
Journal.
Listen to music that feeds your soul.
Water your plants.
Take a long bath.
Sit outside with a cup of coffee.
Watch the sunrise.

Do absolutely nothing for a while. Your mind isn't a machine. Your heart isn't a battery that never runs flat. You were never created to be available 24 hours a day. You were created to live.
To grow.
To rest.
And to reclaim your peace.

I need these reminders just as much as you do. Let's keep figuring this journey out together—one peaceful day at a time.

Let's Continue the Conversation

When was the last time you truly disconnected from the digital world?

What helps you recharge when life becomes overwhelming?

Share your thoughts in the comments. Your story might encourage someone else to take the break they didn't realise they needed.


Thank You for Reading

Thank you for taking the time to read this article.

Life doesn't always have to be lived at full speed. Sometimes the most productive thing we can do is pause, unplug and give ourselves permission to rest. Taking time to recharge isn't a sign of weakness - it's an investment in your health, your happiness and your future.

Whether your "Out of Office" is a week away, a quiet afternoon or simply switching off your phone for a few hours, remember that protecting your peace is never something you should feel guilty about.

Let's navigate this thing called life together - one lesson, one choice and one day at a time.


🌿 Continue Your Journey

Sometimes the best way to move forward is to slow down. If today's article resonated with you, these related reads may inspire you to create a healthier, more balanced and fulfilling life.


The Toggle Effect

Success isn't about working every hour of the day—it's about knowing when to give your best and when to rest. Discover why balance is one of the greatest investments you can make in yourself.

 

The Power of Strategic Silence: Why Saying Less Can Protect Your Peace

Protecting your peace isn't only about taking time away—it's also about choosing where your energy goes. Learn how setting boundaries and embracing silence can help you live with greater calm and clarity.


The Art of Letting Go: Why I Finally Stopped Taking Life So Seriously

Sometimes reclaiming your peace means letting go of unrealistic expectations, embracing the present and making space for more joy in your everyday life.


 Let’s Stay Connected!

If you enjoyed this post, I’d love to have you join our community on Facebook

 for more daily inspiration and updates:

 Navigating Life's Ups & Downs


Comments