When Sisterhood Becomes a Stage The Day I Learnt That Real Women Empowerment Doesn't Gossip
When Sisterhood Becomes a Stage: The Day I Learnt
That Real Women Empowerment Doesn't Gossip
I believed in empowering women with my whole heart... until I discovered that not everyone using the word "sisterhood" actually lives it.
There was a time when I believed women empowerment could change the world. Not because it was fashionable. Not because it looked good on social media. But because I genuinely believed women were stronger when they lifted one another up. I believed every woman deserved to feel seen. To feel heard. To know that her voice mattered. I spoke about confidence almost every day. I encouraged women to love themselves.
To stop settling. To believe they deserved more. To discover their worth long before anyone else tried to define it for them. If someone had asked me back then what I was most passionate about, my answer would have been simple.I believed in it with everything I had. Then life introduced me to a painful lesson that changed how I viewed "sisterhood" forever.
Between 2018 and 2020, I became part of a women's community. At first, it felt exactly like what I had always imagined. Women supporting women. Business owners encouraging one another. Conversations about confidence, growth and purpose.It felt inspiring. I genuinely believed I had found people whose hearts matched their words.I thought we were building something beautiful together. I couldn't have been more wrong. Because sometimes the loudest people preaching empowerment aren't always practising it behind closed doors.
The Conversation That Changed Everything
One day I found myself reading messages in one of the WhatsApp groups. At first I thought it was harmless conversation. Then the tone changed. A woman from the same community became the topic of discussion. Not because she had hurt anyone. Simply because of what she owned. They laughed about the mattress she had in her home. They mocked her lifestyle. They joked that she wasn't "on their level." I remember staring at my phone in complete disbelief.
This wasn't teasing. This wasn't concern. This was cruelty. And it broke my heart. Not because they were talking about me. Because they were talking about another woman who believed she belonged in the same sisterhood.
Standing Up Came at a Price
The response wasn't what I expected. Instead of reflecting on what had happened, some of the women became defensive. The atmosphere changed overnight. People became cold. Messages became personal. Eventually, the criticism turned towards me. Standing up for someone else suddenly made me the problem. That hurt. Not because strangers disagreed with me. But because I realised that some people only celebrate honesty until honesty challenges them. I quietly left the community. Not because I had lost my voice.
Because I refused to lose my peace.
Sometimes Walking Away Is the Strongest Thing You Can Do
Leaving wasn't easy. I questioned myself. I wondered if I had overreacted. I wondered if I should have simply ignored it. But every time I replayed those conversations in my mind, I came back to the same conclusion. If empowering women only applies to the successful...
The popular...The wealthy... Or the influential... Then it isn't empowerment at all. Real empowerment doesn't depend on someone's bank account. Or their furniture. Or their clothes. Or the neighbourhood they live in. Every woman deserves dignity. Every woman deserves respect.
An Unexpected Phone Call
At the beginning of 2026, something unexpected happened. One of the leaders from that same community contacted me. She wanted me to come back. She believed things had changed. She hoped we could start again. I appreciated the conversation. But I also spoke honestly. I explained why I had left. I reminded her about the bullying. About the gossip.
About how women had been mocked simply because they were living differently. I explained that my greatest disappointment wasn't disagreement. It was hypocrisy.
She listened. She was disappointed to hear how deeply those experiences had affected me. But I also believe she understood why I couldn't return. Some chapters are meant to stay closed.
Real Sisterhood Looks Different
Today, I'm no longer searching for large communities. I'm building my own path. I've learnt that genuine support doesn't always come from the biggest platforms. Sometimes it comes from one kind message. One encouraging comment. One woman genuinely celebrating another without expecting anything in return. Real sisterhood is quiet. It celebrates. It protects. It encourages. It doesn't compete. It doesn't humiliate. It doesn't gossip behind closed doors while posting inspirational quotes online. Character will always speak louder than captions.
The Lesson I'll Never Forget
That experience didn't stop me from believing in women.It simply changed what I look for. Today, I pay far less attention to what people say. I watch how they treat others.
Especially those who have nothing to offer them. That's where true character is revealed.
Because the strongest women I've ever met aren't the loudest. They're the kindest.
They're the ones who celebrate another woman's success without feeling threatened.
They're the ones who quietly reach back and help someone else climb.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can women empowerment become toxic?
Yes. Any movement can become unhealthy when actions no longer match its values. Genuine empowerment is built on respect, kindness and integrity.
How do you recognise authentic sisterhood?
Healthy communities celebrate one another's success, respect differences, avoid gossip and create a safe space where every woman feels valued.
Is walking away from a toxic group a sign of weakness?
Not at all. Sometimes protecting your peace and remaining true to your values takes more courage than staying.
💜 Let's Talk
Have you ever been disappointed by someone or a community that didn't live up to its values?
What does real sisterhood mean to you?
I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments. Let's encourage one another with kindness, honesty and respect.
Let’s Stay Connected!
If you enjoyed this post, I’d love to have you join our community on Facebook
for more daily inspiration and updates: Navigating Life's Ups & Downs
Check out some of my other blog posts:
The Hidden Value of a Click: Why Supporting Small Businesses is a Global Necessity (supporting others instead of competing)
Rise Above the Noise: A Call to Celebrate Your Own Elevation (rising above negativity)
The Power of Strategic Silence: Why Saying Less Can Protect Your Peace (walking away from toxic environments)
The Freedom of Being Misunderstood: Why You Don't Need to Explain (being criticised for doing the right thing)
The Garden or the Soil? Why You Aren't the Problem (sometimes the environment is the problem)
Learning to Choose Your Quiet: Where Are You Giving Your Strength? (protecting your peace)
The Art of Letting Go: How Self-Forgiveness Changes Everything (releasing bitterness)
Still Living Like It's 2016? Why Taking Accountability Could Be the Best Decision You Ever Make (contrasting accountability with hypocrisy)


.jpeg)
Comments